Curd Production Team Member
Cypress Grove is one of America’s best-known and fastest-growing artisan cheese producers. We are proud of the joy our award-winning goat cheese brings to people, and that starts with the hardworking production staff who mix, shape, and package our cheese. It took a lot of dedicated, creative, and talented people to get where we are today and we are now seeking:
A Curd Production Team Member dedicated to technical precision!
What the HECK goes on in a creamery?
Curd team members at Cypress Grove have their hands in the very beginning of some of the world’s best goat cheese using technical skills, state of the art machinery, and attention to detail and safety procedures. Grovers bring their “A” game each day to ensure a safe and delicious product. Curd Team members might:
- receive raw milk into the creamery facility
- use standard pasteurization techniques
- ensure safe fermentation to create high quality curd
- troubleshoot automated plumbing machinery
- monitor and document the process and output for safety and quality
- assist other teams in cheese production processes
I don’t know how to do ANY of that!
Don’t worry, some experience helps, but we offer a training program designed to make sure you have the skills needed to be a member of your team. You’ll know exactly what is expected of you and will have the support of your co-workers and supervisor. If you aren’t afraid to work hard and have a great attendance record and attitude, we’ll help with the rest.
How HARD is the work?
We’ll be honest it’s hard work, but it’s also fun and rewarding to be a member of one of our tight-knit teams and produce a product that makes people so happy! You can expect:
- an environment which is colder and much more humid than you are used to.
- to remain upright on wet concrete floors for your full shift, and to bend and reach objects below your waist and above your head.
- to operate heavy equipment, occasionally use a computer keyboard and mouse, and operate other technical devices or machinery.
- to regularly grasp and move objects up to 20lbs by yourself and up to 30 lbs with help, and to occasionally grasp and move objects up to 50lbs with help.
- to work with industrial strength cleaning chemicals while wearing protective gear.
The Ideal Candidate
We aren’t just looking for an employee … we are looking for a Grover! Cypress Grove is proud of our company culture which is based on being supportive and respectful with open communication. Do you have strong ethics, judgement, professionalism, adaptability, and dependability? Can you work and play hard? Are you always on time? Do you have the flexibility to learn new skills and chip in as needed? Are you flexible to work overtime, Sundays, and a shift starting at 6am?
YES? GREAT! Do you also:
- Already live in the Arcata, CA area?
- Have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent?
- Have a great attendance record?
- Have a current CA General Pasteurizer’s license or be able to obtain one within 90 days of hire?
PREFERENCE will be given to candidates with:
- 1 or 2 years working in a food production environment.
- Experience in microbiology and/or food science.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting an automated plumbed system.
Show Me the Money
Curd Team: $14/hour dependent upon experience.
- In the first 90 days you may earn up to a $1/hour increase.
- A full benefits package, swag, and YES free cheese! See our main Employment Opportunities page for more details.
- This position is full time with a typical schedule of Monday-Friday 6:00am-2:30pm, and may be subject to weekends and overtime as needed.