- 1 small-to-medium head fresh broccoli (225 g)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (65 g) all-purpose flour
- Heaping ½ cup (60 g) finely grated Midnight Moon cheese
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more for finishing
- A pinch of red pepper flakes or several grinds of black pepper
- Olive or vegetable oil for frying
- Prepare the broccoli: Separate the florets from the biggest stem(s). Cut the florets into 1-inch chunks. Peel the stems, then slice them into 1/2-inch lengths. You should have about 3 cups of chopped broccoli total.
- Steam the broccoli until tender but not mushy. Drain the broccoli, then set it aside to cool slightly.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the flour, cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper — the mixture will be thick and sticky. Then, add the slightly cooled broccoli and, using a fork or potato masher, mash the broccoli. Some larger pieces are okay, but you want most pieces small enough (¼- to ½-inch chunks) that they will flatten into a fritter in the pan. Once mashed a bit, stir or fold the ingredients together the rest of the way with a spoon.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil to cover bottom, about 2 to 3 tablespoons. Once the oil is hot, scoop a two tablespoon-size mound of the batter and drop it into the pan, then flatten it slightly with your spatula. Repeat with additional batter, leaving a couple inches between each. Once brown underneath, about 2 to 3 minutes, flip each fritter and cook on the other side until equally golden, about another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer briefly to paper towels to drain, then to a serving plate. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with a sprinkle of salt and squeeze of lemon, or your favorite aioli (or just a garlicky mayo or sour cream would be delicious!).